Saturday, August 1, 2015

Cover Up: My Dilemma of Breastfeeding in Public

Stuck in a semi-conservative era, folks here in the Philippines are still easily offended when seeing a mother pull her boobs out to feed her baby. Even abroad, I know there are still places where breastfeeding in public is forbidden.

To some mothers, public breastfeeding can sometimes cause embarrassment (especially here in the Philippines). Why? Well, let's start with the famous argument of "morality". If you're a breastfeeding mom who breastfeed in public without cover up, you know how easily you "attract" quick glances and sometimes stares from strangers. You know, those quick glances coupled with a smirk or [hungry] stares from maniacs waiting for you to show more flesh. Annoying, isn't it?

I have been breastfeeding my little Euri since day one. It is a very challenging task - constantly praying for her to latch well so my nipples won't hurt, waking up every 2 hours at night, pumping/milking my two melons to produce enough milk so my heavyweight champion won't go hungry.

At home, I couldn't care less if I walk around the bedroom with my boobs exposed. My nannies must be so used to seeing me hand-expressing that they just probably roll their eyes behind my back. But when we're out and about, my dilemma is always the moment when Euri cries for milk.

I'm always prepared. I bring with me at least 3 bottles of chilled breast milk in the ice chest. 6 baby bottles in the diaper bag, my reliable Avent Comfort Breast Pump, 1 bottle of 5oz distilled water and formula milk just in case.

My little angel feeds 2ounces or more every 2 hours. Most of the time, the chilled milk I have aren't enough so I always have to go to a breastfeeding station to feed her... but there was this instance when we were in a restaurant having dinner. There was no more milk left in the ice chest and even the milk I pumped in the breastfeeding station had been consumed... so I was left with two options: give Euri the formula or breastfeed in public.

My husband's vote is a major NO for formula milk, so he insisted that I breastfeed the wailing little princess, and promised he'll find a way to cover me with a baby blanket. Being shy, I just couldn't do it. I'm freaked out with the idea that people might look at me and say I'm "exposing" myself.

Luckily, my older sister brought her Next9 Nursing Cover and lend it to me (she and I gave birth only three weeks apart). Though I was still reluctant, I put the cover on and had Euri latch on. And believe it or not, even with the cover, I still see people look at me as if I'm being indecent or doing something illegal. I wanted to scream, "Come on, a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do!"

Anyway, I survived and I am proud! :-) I was so happy that I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and breastfed my baby in public- an achievement I never thought possible.

Decided that I will breastfeed all the time and never give formula milk unless it's an emergency, I went online to order my very own nursing cover.

Lily Mom's Nursing Wrap Log
Oh boy, there are so many choices! The Next9 nursing covers are the cheapest. I found a couple of retailers selling it for Php300 (you can order online at Mayumi&Me), there's also the Love Loops at BabyMama for Php500, Indigo Baby Boncho Nursing Cover at Php645, Baby Mama Nursing Cover for Php695, Nursing Mom for Php1,100, Udder Cover for Php1,250 and LilyMoms Breastfeeding Wrap for Php995.

Next9, Baby Mama, Nursing Mom and Udder Cover are all the same. They are all apron-like nursing covers. So if you are after the apron-type nursing cover and aren't that keen on designs, better go with the Next9. It's cheap and it can do the job.

Love Loops is cheap too, it is like a shawl that can also be worn as a scarf or belt, or whatever you can think of.

Indigo Baby Boncho is like a poncho that you can wear in different styles. I think it's cool but I'm skeptical if it can fit women of all sizes. It looks like it's for petites or small to medium frames.

Lily Mom's Nursing Wrap also has rings for a perfect fit
I bought Lilymoms. Aside from the uber cute designs, I like the idea that it's a wrap. Unlike the nursing covers that look more like aprons that cover only your front and your sides, the wrap guarantees that I am completely covered: front, sides and back. It has added features too, like "baby view" which allows you to see your baby while feeding, rings that you can adjust for a perfect fit (similar to the apron-type covers), and a thumb loop inside to ensure that the cape stays in place even when the baby moves.

Investing in a nursing wrap is good a decision. I never have to worry about not bringing enough or running out of milk. I can hand express or pump milk even when I'm in the car. I can breastfeed my baby anytime, anywhere without worrying about showing my glorious melons to the world.

So if you're a breastfeeding mom who constantly hear family members or friends complain about you breastfeeding in public, or someone who's just uncomfortable breastfeeding around people, I strongly suggest you buy a nursing cover, or maybe buy several nursing tops.

Cheers to all breastfeeding Mommas!