Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Giving Birth at Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital

Euri Dirwen
Euri Dirwen, 23 April 2015 @ 8:29am, 9.9lbs
I finally gave birth to a bouncy 9.9lbs baby girl Thursday, the 23rd of April at 8:29am. The hospital stay was okay as it was much better than I expected, though the pain of giving birth the second time around was not as tolerable as the first.

We arrived at the hospital Wednesday afternoon (April 22), so I can be admitted and have my scheduled CS operation by 8:00am the following day. By some weird kind of luck, ALL private rooms were fully booked, all wards were occupied and the only rooms available were two suite rooms which were thrice the price of the private rooms, and 2 remaining beds in the last available semi-private room. Out of practicality, we chose the semi-private room, hoping that there will be an available private room the next day.


CMC Backstory:
I prepared myself for the worst, as I had an unpleasant experience in a ward on my first CS operation at Capitol Medical Center. It was the same situation, all private rooms were occupied when I gave birth (emergency CS operation) so there was no choice but to get the ward.

A few hours after I was transferred from the Recovery Room to the ward, a nurse and several student nurses (yes, they have their mini-notebooks with them) came to my bed, moved the curtains and informed me that they will remove my catheter. I was alone at that time as my mom was at home to get some of my things, and my husband was somewhere in the hospital fixing our bill or room transfer. I was clueless when the old nurse and her minions came to remove the pee-bag, but when the old lady started to do a "demo" on removing the catheter, I realized that I've been turned into a guinea pig. It was the worst feeling ever -I mean, literally opening your legs wide open, exposing your most private part for not just one person but for at least 5 people to see and take note of. I was sobbing when my hubby came back a few minutes after the "demo", so he immediately phoned the admitting office to have me transferred to a private room -ASAP.


JDMH Semi-Private Room:
The moment I entered the semi-private room of Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital, I've already set my mind for the worst but was still hopeful that it wouldn't be as bad as my experience with CMC four years ago. When I saw that the semi-private room is spacious and the bed I've reserved at the corner is near the air conditioning unit and has more space, I was relieved and in fact, satisfied. The comfort room is clean, although lacking one of the most important fixture for a hospital CR: a bidet.

I was in the Recovery Room from 8am until 9pm on the 23rd as my blood pressure was at 150/100, but my stay in the semi-private room from the evening of the 22nd until the afternoon of the 24th was satisfactory. My only complain was that the patient next to me had at least 3 adult visitors and 4 extremely noisy kids running and playing inside the small shared room. I am an extremely private person, so I really believe that children shouldn't be allowed to visit unless they are visiting patients in a private room. Visitors should consider other patients' privacy, especially if it's in a ward or semi-private rooms. So by early Friday afternoon, I was eager to move to the private room that my husband reserved for me.


JDMH Private Room:
 The private room I got was spacious, a major upgrade from the semi-private room. The bedsheets were crisp, the pillows were firmer and the bed was much more comfortable. There was a fridge, a small television, a food table, a roomy cabinet and a clean comfort room with hot and cold shower - without the bidet though. :-(


JDMH Labor Room:
I've "visited" the labor room several times during my "visits" in the hospital. I've been rushed to JDMH emergency thrice during my pregnancy because of my asthma. Since I was pregnant then, it must be an SOS for them to assess the baby's condition in the labor room.

JDMH's labor room is small with only three or four beds, I think. The equipments are okay - not new looking and not old looking either. Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital's labor room does not look as sterile as Capitol Medical Center's labor room where we need to change into a gown, remove our shoes/slippers and change to the hospital's slippers.

For people who are particular to "quiet, hospital environment", JDMH is not for you. The doctors/resident doctors in the labor room are attentive but they tend to be too jolly (to the point of being noisy). You can hear them joking, distributing their fast food orders, or one doctor telling the other to go home early, etc. I was never bored in JDMH's labor room. CMC's labor room though is boasting with serious "professionalism" which is excellent, but they honestly need to smile more.


JDMH Delivery Room:
I missed this room, since I was already scheduled to undergo CS operation. I was brought from my bed in the semi-private room (was injected with whatever that was that made me groggy) directly to the OR.


JDMH Operating Room:
I didn't notice how big the room was, I just saw those familiar looking surgical lights. I didn't remember much about the operating room... all I can recall was my endless cries of "ouch" as the anaesthesiologist inject the anesthetic. I only found out recently that I was already in active labor that time, my cervix dilation was at 5cm. Whew!



JDMH Recovery Room:
After I delivered the baby, I was in the recovery room until 9pm due to my elevated blood pressure. The room only has (at most) 4 beds - or should I just call it stretchers? The stretchers are way too narrow. My shoulders hurt from trying to fit myself in that "bed". I kept on complaining to the nurse how my shoulders hurt and if they can at least lower the side rails so I can rest my arms properly - but nope, they didn't lower the side rails cause they said, "I might fall."


JDMH Breastfeeding Room:
The breastfeeding room is right next to the nursery (of course!). The small room can accommodate 5 breastfeeding moms. It has a small sink where you can wash your hands, a soap dispenser, and a hand dryer that doesn't work. The cushioned chairs are comfortable, with support pillows available for moms to use. At the corner, is a small table with empty glasses and a pitcher of water, several reading materials and some breastfeeding posters.


JDMH Overall Service:
I would say is EXCELLENT. From the doctors, residents, nurses (I should mention that most of the nurses are beautiful - at least those four who attended to me), service people who (very patiently) pushes your wheelchair up the circular ramp going to the second floor, the janitors/janitresses, security guards - they all have that warm, hospitable smile that made my 5 day stay a 5 star service experience. :-)