Monday, January 10, 2011

Simple Joy: To Use the Toilet

I've been on bed rest for more than a week now and only Wednesday morning, I had to be confined in Capitol Medical Center cause of pre-term labor. It was a hell of an experience to stay for almost 12 hours in the delivery room and listen to women moan/complain about their contractions, etc. The dextrose on my right hand limited my movement and made me feel more uncomfortable than the contractions in my tummy. Oh yeah, add the steroids that they injected on my left and right arm (it was needed to speed up the development of my baby's lungs, in case the baby comes out premature), it stings!

During my 12hr stay in the delivery room, one woman gave birth. While on labor, she was on extreme pain and doctors, nurses and med-techs had to surround her and hold her while the anesthesiologist inject the epidural on her spine. Ouch! I was so nervous, thinking that in a few weeks, I will be experiencing the same pain she's going through... When she was rushed to what they call, "the table", it only took less than 45 minutes before a loud whaling sound was heard on the delivery room. That must be one heck of a healthy lung, I mean baby. I wonder what she felt after seeing/hearing her baby...

Soon after my contractions stopped, I was sent to my room... under strict "surveillance" from my husband and nurses who forbid me to stand up and walk around the room. It's okay to lie down for three freaking days, but to be forced to pee on bed (of course with the use of a bedpan) is another story. I never thought it would be so difficult to take a leak lying down... I once stood up and went to the toilet to "flash my personal trash" (poop) and in less than 5 minutes, the head nurse was in my room, "reminding" me of the COMPLETE BED REST order. A resident doctor followed and reminded me [again] that I am not allowed to stand up from bed and MUST request for the bedpan each time I feel the need to use the toilet (regardless if am only going to pee or poop). Amen to that.

My bestfriend during my hospital stay...


The hospital food was okay. I mean, am used to eating hospital food. I was my dad's "food taster" when he was in St. Luke's. The best part was, I was able to ask my husband to go out and buy shawarma, kabab, burger or whatever everytime I feel gluttonous... the "food court" was only at the ground floor of the hospital and they also have fast food chains near the hospital. Coolness. The only problem was, after eating... your stomach would feel heavy. Guess what you would need to do next?

Anyway, I am back home now. I got my "release order" (wow, sounds like am from prison!) yesterday afternoon and is still on bed rest here at home. I am on bed rest for another week and is not allowed to leave the house for strenuous activities until I give birth. I never thought being able to sit down and use the toilet could bring such joy and comfort to me. The bedpan experience will forever be in my heart, but I will never miss it.